Who We Are
Ovation first opened its doors on January 2nd 2000. From the very beginning the plan was to be accountable for time, to understand clients better, break the link between selling a product and providing advice.
All these years later and that original philosophy has influenced the business in some interesting ways:
- Some 92% of the income of the business comes from existing clients. That’s what we do. We see all clients regularly, at least once a year. We like our clients!
- We take time to really understand clients, their goals, their motivations. And we often help clients understand themselves better.
- A large part of our service is managing investments and applying our considerable technical knowledge. But we’ve learned that clients are actually more interested in how close they are to their goals in life.
We are proud of what Ovation has become, and protective of the reputation we have forged among our clients, among the professional community, and within the industry.
How We Work
The role of a financial planner is to help a client gain clarity over their future.
This process uses a variety of skills and knowledge, including:
- Technical knowledge of areas such as tax and pensions
- Investment management
- Coaching skills – to help clients better understand their own objectives and motivations
- Financial forecasting – putting those objectives and motivations into numbers. What could the future look like?
- Applying a rigour – we like to joke that we meet clients at least once a year whether they like it or not!
Only by truly understanding your situation and asking the right questions can we really help you. We use our skills to:
- Clarify your current financial position
- Visualise where you would like to be at certain stages in your life
- Work with you to set realistic targets
- Plan the financial actions and activity required to achieve these goals
We investigate your existing pensions, investments, protection policies, and consider whether these are structured in accordance with the objectives we uncovered in stage 1.
We’ll also consider their suitability for the client, taking into account factors such as:
- Attitude to risk
- Capacity for loss
- Knowledge and experience in investing
- Current tax position
- Current overall financial position (are those life assurance policies still needed, for example)
Using the information we have gathered during the assessment and investigation stage, along with our financial forecasting, we will:
- Compare where you are now with where you want to be
- If needed, amend the objectives to ensure they are realistic
- Provide recommendations for appropriate products and investments, including changes to existing where appropriate
- Incorporate appropriate tax implications
- Put forward a plan which takes you from today to achieving your objectives
Presenting the proposal is just the tip of the iceberg. Implementing the proposals is undertaken with the same meticulous attention to detail, meeting the exacting Compliance standards of the FCA.
We believe an annual review of your portfolio and investments is arguably the most important meeting we will have with you. At least once a year we sit down with you to review progress towards the objectives. We’ll hear about any changes which might affect the plan, and review what has been set up and how it is performing.
Why We Care
As Independent Financial Advisers, we naturally recommend investments based on the entire marketplace. But we go further than that.
In our opinion, the best way to guarantee truly independent advice is to operate as a fee-based practice. This allows us to provide exactly the service you require, whether that is a new financial planning strategy, reshaping your current portfolio, or simply making sure everything is in the right place.
Does this mean you’ll pay more for our advice than if we were commission based? Absolutely not – our fee is a fair reflection of the work we do on your behalf and can often cost you less than you would pay in commission.
Clear Balanced Professionals
Our Service Defined
You may find our service and approach to managing your finances changes the way you view financial management. Because we are independent and truly fee based, by which we mean accountable to you for the time we spend working on your behalf, everything we do can be entirely in your best interests.
If you would like a free consultation to discuss your financial goals and how we can help you achieve them, please contact us.